Friday, January 25, 2013

Letters to my Former Single Self


This weeks Question:

What did you think about dating and relationships when you were little?  
What do you think of them now?


Dear Adolescent/teenage Sara,

Its me, well, you, from the future! 

When you were really really young, maybe around 5 you always figured relationships were like the movies, the prince would come and pull you onto the back of his horsey and you would ride off into the sunset! 

Do you remember your first crush? Of course you remember Justin, you could never, and will never forget him. Remember all the plans you had for your lives? You both were going to move to Japan and he was going to be a martial arts instructor? You both were so cute in your innocent years. I'm sorry things fell apart between you both a few years ago, but trust me, even though you are still hurting it was for the best, don't hold a grudge! 

I was reading through some of our old journal entries the other day, I saw a lot of entries that read something like this "I really wonder if Josh likes me" or "Zach is so nice, I wouldn't deserve to have a boyfriend like him because I'm such a B**** to every one!" (which is true you are, but, you have a lot of barriers and walls up because you have been hurt by so many people).  You didn't know much about relationships or dating, you didn't even know what someone did on a date. Yes, you saw the people holding hands and kissing at school, and that's what you thought a relationship and dating someone was, just hanging out with someone of the opposite sex and holding hands and kissing.  

Your first real boyfriend Anthony, well, he was awesome, he also broke your heart, ha ha, sad story. I'm sorry I'm making fun of you, I should be nicer... No, never mind, its who we are.. Anyways, he was the one who taught you how relationships should be, he did a terrible job, sorry about that. 

Over the years since Anthony, I have gained valuable information on relationships and dating. Remember that everything happens for a reason and to never stop loving yourself! Here's some advice:

Take time to "date" don't rush into a relationship, there is no need to rush into anything! The guy that god has for you will wait and treat you right.

You know mom and dads "No dating until you are 16 rule"? Listen to it, its a really good rule!

Don't let boys get in the way of school, you can't get high school back!

Pray (I know you don't really believe in God right now, but seek him anyways) for your future dates, and relationships. Pray for yourself and for your future husband. Philippians 4:6 says Don't worry about anything, instead pray about everything. Tell god what you need and thank him for all he has done. So do just that!

Be true to yourself, if you cant be you with the person whom you are with then they are not the right person for you. If they have nothing in common with you, then they probably are not the person for you. 

Its OK to say "Goodbye, its over"!

Don't look for someone to rescue you, you rescue yourself!

Relationships are hard work, but so worth it!

Lastly, you are amazing, sweet, kind, beautiful, and funny. Your smile is so infectious, show off that dimple! Never settle for anyone who dulls your sparkle, you are worth so, so, so much more then that!

I love you,
Your 26 year old self!



I hope many of you are doing this link up also! I cant wait to see what others have said!

Love and Hugs,
Sara



8 comments:

  1. It IS okay to say goodbye its over great advice! Loved reading your post
    Nice to meet ya!
    Your newest friend
    Ashlee@ABpetite
    http://abpetite.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA!

    I wrote the same thing in my high school journal about me being too much of a b**** for a boy to like!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a lot of barriers up! I know it was true, especially if I wrote it in my journal!

      Delete
  3. It's so important that girls know that they can lose valuable time over boys! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete